Still operating through the Coronavirus outbreak and we are taking appropriate measures to be able to serve our customers and keep everyone safe.

First Aid Tips for Electric Shock

What our customers say

Accidents could happen anytime. So we must always prepare ourselves and learn some first aid treatment procedures to help ourselves or someone else, in case of emergencies.

If you believe that you are safe from dangers inside your home, then you are thinking wrong. Even in your safe space, accidents can happen due to some hazards caused by your electrical system. And one of them is electric shock. 

What is Electric Shock?

An electric shock happens when there is direct contact between a person and a live wire. Note that the human body is a great conductor of electricity, which means the current can easily flow inside our bodies. It can cause organ and tissue damages depending on the following: 

  • Voltage amount
  • Type of current (alternating current is more dangerous than direct current)
  • Duration of contact with the source
  • Electricity’s path through the body
  • Over-all health condition

No matter how severe the electric shock is, it is crucial to consult with a doctor since a thorough body check-up can look for unseen and unfelt injuries or damages. 

Causes of Electric Shock

Direct contact from live wires is the cause of electric shock, and here are some sources where the contact is usually made: 

  • Lightning strikes
  • Power poles and lines
  • Electrical machinery
  • Home appliances
  • Electrical outlets and switches
  • Electric weapons such as taser

While exposure to the electricity from home appliances is less severe, it is a different scenario when a person — especially a child — chews on a wire or puts their mouth on an outlet. These are dangerous situations, so you must keep an eye on children at all times. Or better yet, call for licensed level 2 electricians to install safety outlets and child-proof your house.  

Symptoms of Electric Shock

The symptoms of an electric shock also depend on how severe the case is. Potential symptoms include:

  • Loss of consciousness
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Shortness of breath
  • Visual or hearing problems
  • Seizures
  • Electric burns
  • Numbness or tingling
  • Muscle spasms

If you or someone you know, experience these symptoms — no matter how minor the feeling is —  immediately call an ambulance for assistance.     

First Aid Tips for Electric Shock

It is vital to know how to respond when you or someone is in electric shock. Here are some first aid tips for you to follow:

If you are in electric shock

When you become a victim of electric shock, try to do these steps:

  • Disconnect yourself from the source as soon as possible.
  • Calm down and assess the situation.
  • If possible, call for the emergency hotline, But if you can’t, shout for help.
  • Minimise movement unless if you need to move away from the electrical source or other hazards.
  • When there are burns, cover them with gauze and don’t use adhesive bandages that might stick to the burns.  
  • If the electric shock is minor, make sure to consult a doctor because as said earlier, internal damages are also possible without you knowing.

If someone else is in electric shock

You can help someone in electric shock but make sure that you won’t be another victim. Follow these steps:

  • Never touch someone who is still currently connected to a power source.
  • Stay calm and turn off the main power supply if possible.
  • If you can’t turn off the power, stand on something dry and non-conductive material such as newspaper, book, or wooden board.
  • Move the victim using dry and non-conductive objects like wood or rubber items. Never use wet objects and metal materials. 
  • Keep 6 metres away from the victim when a running high-voltage source is involved.
  • Immediately call emergency services.
  • Check for breathing, pulse, and heartbeat.
  • If the victim is unconscious and the pulse is low, perform CPR if you know how to, or look for someone else who does. 
  • If the victim is vomiting or very pale, slightly elevate his/her legs and feet.
  • Cover burns with gauze and don’t use adhesive bandages that might stick to the burns. 
  • Keep the person warm until responders arrive. 


Electric shock occurs when there is contact between a person and a live wire. It is dangerous because it can cause tissue and organ damages, depending on how severe the case is. Thus, it is crucial to know some first aid tips whenever it happens to save a life. 

However, prevention is better than cure. It is better to have a safe electrical system than be a victim of electric shock. And you can trust Sydney Inner West Electrician to eliminate all threats of electric shock such as outlets, exposed wires, and risky appliances.  

Our professional team of electricians are the leading experts in electric fault-finding and wiring services. Also, we can repair any kinds of wires to protect you and your family from electrical harms. And lastly, we can upgrade your outlets and circuits to a more safe and long-lasting connection. 

Book with us now for the cheapest and best electrical services in the Inner West region. Don’t hesitate to call us at (02) 8378 2829.

Book Your Job Now

24 Hours, 7 Days a Week

    Arrive on time or
    we pay you

    **terms and conditions apply

    Why Choose Us?

    The Best Licensed Electricians in Inner West Sydney

    Licensed Electricians

    Lifetime Warranty

    24 Hour Emergency Service

    Upfront Honest Prices

    5 Star Service

    Repairs Guaranteed

    Level 2 Accredited

    Call Now Button